Things I Did During Break Week
- Went to the gym for the first time since beginning my grad program
- Rock climbed for the first time since high school
- Registered for a half marathon
- Picnicked and explored at the beach
- Trellised the peas in my container garden
- Caught up on letters, e-mails and phone calls
- Visited a science museum
- Hosted a brunch
- Attended an impromptu pizza gathering and a pool party
- Thrifted a v teacher-esque outfit (including a Banana Republic sweater; I’m fancy now).
Which is to say, I didn’t invent or improvise any new recipes this week. But I did take advantage of my student teaching-free mornings to test out two baked goods: brioche buns and banana blueberry muffins.
Both are unquestionably Things I Made That I Love; they are really hecking good and got rave reviews from the friends with whom I shared them.
The brioche buns came about because I was wandering the aisles of TJ’s, trying to decide how to maximize enjoyment from meals I wouldn’t have to pack to school. I was inspired by prosciutto to make fancy sandwiches, and grabbed some gorgeous brioche buns from a shelf. Then I realized I had both the ingredients and the time (!!) to make them myself.
Be warned: the recipe calls for two 1-2 hour rises. Yet it also makes 8 buns, so if you bake on Sunday, you can eat an A+ sandwich every day of the week and still have a bun left for sharing/showing off purposes.
The blueberry banana muffins were born today, when I realized a brunch guest left me with a bunch of bananas rapidly ripening on my kitchen counter. The recipe calls for “sugaring” the pan (coating it with butter and sugar), so you know it’s gonna be fab. Also I got to cream some butter, a process which I love. Though I was devoted to this banana muffin recipe for about a year and a half, I just might have a new favorite.
All in all, it was a yummy and relaxing week. Now I’m well-rested and jazzed to get back to the classroom. I find out where I’m placed for fall on Wednesday, so cross your fingers for me!