Some days you wake up late and brunch is Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits from the box. Sorry co-op. I wish I could say I was up late having a wild time, living up my senior year, but actually I was up late babysitting to save money for grad school. I watched an old Bond movie with Johnny the 10 year-old and then cleaned his mom’s kitchen.
ANYWAYS, this recipe for mushroom gravy is not only tasty as heck, it can be whipped up in under 40 minutes. How rad.
Mushroom Gravy with Sage + Thyme:
- 2 1/4 cups mushrooms
- 1 large white onion
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Dice onions and toss them into a large skillet over medium heat. While they are browning, chop mushrooms and garlic.
- When onions are just starting to brown, add mushrooms and garlic to skillet. Cook until soft.
- While veggies are cooking, melt butter. Add sage, thyme, nutritional yeast and flour. Whisk to combine.
- Add butter mixture, a splash of balsamic, and water to skillet with veggies. Simmer 10-15 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste. I also added a generous shake of rubbed sage and some garlic powder (for luck).