Co-op brunch was a joy to make this week. Housemates J and E helped me cook up these savory hand pies, and they’re p much everything I ever wanted in a breakfast pastry.
The shell is a basic pie crust, which I assembled first. Then I filled each pie with bacon, potatoes, carrots, hella garlic, and mushrooms. It was a winning combination, but I’m p sure almost anything tastes good when wrapped in buttery, flakey dough. That makes hand pies perfect for Sunday brunch, because you can be creative in using up any leftovers from the week.
A note: I used a kitchen scale to measure out proportions for this recipe, but I’ve translated it to ingredient ratios so it can be made without access to my co-op’s ridiculously well-appointed kitchen. You’re welcome.
Savory Hand Pies:
- five parts flour
- one part shortening
- ice water
- generous pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk (for egg wash)
- 6 strips bacon
- 7-8 fingerling potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic
- nutritional yeast
- black pepper
- Begin by assembling dough. Combine flour, salt and shortening in a bowl. Cut together until mixture is texture of sand.
- Add ice water in 3 tablespoon increments, mixing after each addition. Continue adding water until dough just starts to come together.
- Chill dough while dicing filling ingredients.
- Fry filling ingredients over medium heat, stirring occasionally. I put my bacon in the skillet first and did not need any additional oil. Season to taste with sage, rosemary, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- While filling is cooking, remove dough from fridge. Place under a sheet of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Use an inverted bowl to cut circles from dough.
- When all filling components are tender, spoon a small amount onto each circle of dough. Brush a line of egg wash along the perimeter of each crust.
- Fold crusts in half, crimping with fingers. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Arrange on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degree for 25-35 minutes. Hot damn!