The witch in me loves baking. I can’t think of anything cozier than a house that smells like yeast, and everyone is happy to come home to treats. Turning raw ingredients into dessert is mundane magic, kitchen sink alchemy.
However, the bitch in me knows all potlucks are competitions, and the bitch wants to win. Because of this, I’m drawn to the more complex recipes — things that sound impressive and fancy (and will look good on my Insta.) I want the mundane magic of a recipe involving 27 steps and requiring an immersion blender.
Cookies are more simple staple than bougie delicacy, so I don’t make them often. But these two twists on a classic sugar cookie were enough to pique my interest, and I hope they’ll pique yours too:
Sugar Cookie With Brown Butter Glaze — When I hear “Brown Butter,” I think “Fuck me up.” These cookies deliver.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
Glaze Ingredients (Assemble before you begin! This part’s speedy!):
- 1/4 cup (half stick) butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- mix powdered sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla until well blended.
- Mix in flour and baking soda.
- Dough should be like play-doh. Using hands, roll balls and flatten to make cookies. Arrange on greased baking sheet. Pop in the oven for ~15 minutes.
While the cookies are baking, get to work on your bougie brown butter glaze:
- Brown butter. I do this by microwaving for 5 minutes, then microwaving at 1 minute intervals, stirring gently in between, until the butter is a nice light brown. (Think the color of whiskey).
- Add brown sugar and microwave another minute. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add milk and whisk again! It’s going to hiss and sputter at you, and that’s alright.
- Stir in powdered sugar.
- Revel in the fact that you’re a culinary goddess.
Give your cookies about 10 minutes to cool before glazing them, then bring them to the first meeting of your education course because you don’t know how else to make friends.
Lavender Sugar Cookies With Lemon Glaze — Serve them at a garden tea party! Or when you really want to feel like a spring fairy despite the late-March snow!!
Cookie ingredients are the same as above + 2 tsp lavender paste.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cups milk
- lemon juice
Make the same cookies as before, just add the lavender paste along with the other ingredients in step 1. If you don’t have lavender paste but you DO have dried lavender:
- remove 1 egg from the cookie recipe.
- Heat some milk to almost-boiling, then add a generous pinch of lavender. Steep 5-10 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp lavender milk to your dough.
To make the glaze:
- Microwave milk for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking after each addition, until glaze is desired thickness. If you add too much milk, no worries, just add a pinch of cornstarch to thicken again
- Stir in lemon juice to taste. I used about 3 tsp.
Allow cookies to cool 10 minutes, reflecting on how your house suddenly smells like gentle sunshine and the end of seasonal depression. Glaze + enjoy.